Strategic Growth Investment & Engineering (SGIE) Internship
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is currently executing two large scale capital projects at the Portsmouth, NH facility:
1. NG3M Project. This project is adding additional manufacturing capacity. It is highlighted by a new 4 x 6,000 L mammalian bioreactor trains and the incorporation of state of the art disposable technologies, in-line analytics, and automation/MES. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to support this project during commissioning, qualification, validation through to final handover and first runs at scale.
2. Customer Tech Transfer. This project is a combination of subprojects with the goal of introducing a new Customer process into the existing 20,000 L scale asset. It is highlighted by adding a new Grade B bulk drug substance final fill room.
- Piping & Instrumentation Diagram (P&ID) review and redlining
- Internal, vendor, and subcontractor team meeting facilitation
- Engineering Turnover Package (TOP) database management
- Drafting Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) protocols
- Supporting FAT performance of new equipment purchased for the project
- Support Engineering and Operational Team in execution of commissioning activities such as loop checks, passivation, equipment startup, etc.
- Drafting Design Qualification (DQ), Installation Qualification (IQ), Operational Qualification (OQ), and Performance Qualification (PQ) protocols
- Executing IQ on plant and process equipment systems
- Assist Validation Team with execution of OQs and PQs
- Develop technical knowledge in mechanical, electrical, and controls engineering in relation to process systems
- Develop project management skills (communication, scheduling, cost control) to coordinate and manage the activities of consultants, vendors and contractors to meet scope, schedule, budget, safety and quality requirements of the capital project.
- At a minimum, completion of sophomore year (typically 60 credits)
- Must working towards a BS or MS a degree in an Engineering Discipline (Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering preferred)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (out of 4) required
- Must be able to begin Monday May 18, 2020 or June 1, 2020 and the internship ends on Friday August 7, 2020.
Our Lonza Portsmouth site is a clinical-to-commercial, multi-product manufacturing facility located in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, only 56 miles north of Boston, Massachusetts. The site, which employs over 1,000 employees, is a custom manufacturer of therapeutic monoclonal antibodies and recombinant proteins using mammalian cell culture.
We offer an onsite cafeteria, unlimited coffee (hot, iced and lattes), as well as a delicious outdoor grill in the summer. The city of Portsmouth is a quintessential New England seaport town, home to many restaurants, breweries, museums, and theaters. The ocean and mountains are nearby and we have major cities close by (Boston, Portland, and Manchester).
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.