Senior Project Engineer
United States, Bend (Oregon)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech is looking for a Senior Project Engineer to support their expansion in Bend, OR.
As a member of the Engineering Team, the Senior Project Engineer will lead and oversee capital projects involving the planning, reconfiguration, or construction of structures or equipment and systems.
The Senior Project Engineer plays a critical role in eliciting client requirements and specifications for projects and ensures that business drivers are clearly defined and communicated. The Senior Project Engineer develops project funding requirements and guides the project through the funding process.
The Senior Project Engineer verifies that projects are planned, executed, and documented in accordance with established site and Lonza methodologies for delivering best-in-class services on capital construction projects. You will leverage knowledge of GMPs (Good Manufacturing Practices) to ensure that projects are executed with minimal disruption to Operation’s schedules and provide construction management oversight to ensure that projects are executed safely, efficiently, and in accordance with all applicable codes and requirements.
- Directly responsible and accountable for delivering capital projects to scope, budget, and schedule
- Provides direct management, execution, and oversight of capital projects of varying complexity from concept through Commissioning and Qualification (C&Q)
- Leads the governance structure that oversees the entire process flow involved in effective project inception and execution
- Ensures projects are executed in accordance to current Lonza and site methodologies, policies, industry best practices, and GMP requirements
- Defines project scope and clearly identifies problem, functional requirements, and recommended options
- Establishes project team, develops project strategy, master schedule, and spending schedule.
- Identifies and mitigates project risks to scope, budget, and schedule
- Manages plan/design review processes including stage gate reviews, EHS (Environmental Health and Safety)HAZOP reviews, equipment evaluation, tests, and approvals
- Supervises contractor evaluation and selection process. Manages contractor inspection process to ensure safety and compliance
- Sets up logistics system, including vendor selection, requests for quotes, bid selection, invoice approval
- Coordinates the development of engineering and GMP documentation, procurement, engineering services, construction, C&Q, and turn over to Operations
- Provides frequent review of progress vs. schedule versus cost with appropriate teams. Updates Client and Management.
- Interacts with Senior Management for project reviews and governance
- Education requirements with a preferred area of study in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering:
- High School Diploma and extensive related experience, or
- Associates degree and substantial related experience, or
- Bachelor’s degree and significant related experience, or
- Master’s degree (Master’s in Business Administration preferred) and working experience
- Project management or project execution experience in the pharmaceutical or related industry are required
- Project Management Professional certification, or Six Sigma Black-Belt training
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.