Senior Principal Scientist - MSAT (Manufacturing, Science & Technology)
United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Due to significant growth and expansion of Lonza’s Slough manufacturing operations and Lonza’s global centre of excellence in process development, we are looking to recruit a Senior Principal Scientist to join the Manufacturing, Science and Technology (MSAT) organization in order to lead the technical transfer of multiple concurrent complex manufacturing processes (either USP and/or DSP) using a defined structured approach and expertise between Process Development, through pilot stage accountable for the technical oversight and monitoring ensuring a robust and technically capable GMP manufacturing process.
The Senior Principal Scientist will be a recognized process expert in area of expertise and will provide detailed technical support via multiple customer facing project teams to deliver existing but also novel technology advancement, perform complex technical data analysis and deliver the required complex technical process documentation in collaboration, negotiation and discussion with external customers, team SME’s and internal stakeholders as required.
This role will have an established internal network and have influence and credibility across operations in area of expertise and with MSAT team management.
- To represent MSAT within within multiple complex customer facing product project teams using a standard methodology/procedure to successfully transfer both existing as well as evaluate new technologies either into USP and/or DSP cGMP biologics manufacturing from development through MSAT pilot scale facilities.
- To be accountable for the introduction and support of qualification of new process technologies into cGMP manufacturing, whilst managing technical risks associated with process transfer, leading cross functional teams to ensure relevant transfer and communication of critical process and technical information such that successful outcomes are achieved as agreed with customer.
- To pro-actively communicate effectively negotiate, collaborate and demonstrate technical influence over the customer, via both face to face meeting and telecoms driving problem resolution and offer successful technical outcomes
- To be accountable for independent on plant technical support, process monitoring and complex data analysis using experience to anticipate issues before they become critical.
- To lead associated improvement activities leading cross functional teams to successfully implement according to customer and business needs.
- To use technical influence and knowledge in project teams to ensure delivery of project timelines according to customer needs
- To proactively anticipate, evaluate and resolve technical challenges within area of expertise
- To be self-managed in resolving gaps in unit operations through batch reviews and applied continual process learning/knowledge capture.
- To be aware of external biopharmaceutical manufacturing technology advancements, understand and introduce new technologies and how they may be applicable to process innovation, cost or yield improvement.
- To act as coach/mentor to other team members and also cross functionally and SME and share knowledge in certain aspects of process operations
- MSc/PhD in science related disciplines
- Mammalian and/or microbial background for drug substance processing
- Extensive experience in a drug substance environment
- Strong knowledge in laboratory development and/or a manufacturing operations background.
- Be a recognized expert in field USP and/or DSP drug substance operations from working in a cGMP environment.
- Have a successful technical transfer expertise gained from a drug substance manufacturing environment.
- Have demonstrable experience working in cross functional project management and technical transfer activities with ability to multi task, prioritize and be an effective decision maker.
- Have a deep understanding of manufacturing process as a whole e.g. Supply chain, analytical, QA.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required with ability to work cross functionally with internal and external customers.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.