Quality Control (QC) Summer Intern
United States, Houston (Texas)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are actively recruiting candidates to participate in our 2020 Summer Internship program. This program immerse you into the culture and operations of Lonza Houston. Throughout your internship you will be giving the opportunity and will be expected to contribute as an active team member within the Quality Control department. The Quality Control (QC) Summer Intern will spend time in each of the main functional areas within QC (Raw Materials, Microbiology, Viral Vector, Cell Therapy) and support the implementation of special projects such as the evaluation of new equipment/methodologies, assessment and application of visual management tools in the lab, and creation of learning qualification modules for basic laboratory techniques.
- Researches available technologies for identity testing of raw materials such as FTIR and Raman spectroscopy. Identifies best practice at other Lonza sites and evaluates available product literature and information to provide a recommendation for the methods to be employed for in-house identity testing.
- Trains on basic test methods/procedures in the lab such as cell counts, pH, osmolality, bioburden and assists with creation of learning qualification modules for those techniques.
- Completes 6S training and utilizes learning to help identify potential failure modes and implement visual management tools to error proof the lab
- Acquires and documents training on all laboratory general tasks and is capable of performing assigned test methods and using associated instrumentation.
- Problem solves by selecting appropriate alternative from defined options.
- Records test results and maintains raw data and accurate laboratory records
- Maintains compliance with all required training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Completion of sophomore year (typically 60 credits) and currently enrolled in a B.S. or M.S. degree in a life sciences field
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (out of 4) required
- Must be available to begin as early as May 18, 2020 with the internship ending around August 7, 2020
- Able to attain a solid understanding of cGMP principles.
- Prior understanding of basic laboratory equipment and aseptic technique a plus.
- Proficient in the use of spreadsheets, databases, and word processing software.
- Writing is typically free of punctuation, spelling and grammatical errors
- Dependable and able to work well within a team.
- Is optimistic and displays a positive attitude even during periods of adversity.
Every day, Lonza’s products have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.