Research Associate (Cell Culture Media)
United States, Walkersville (Maryland)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Research Associate (Cell Culture Media) will be responsible for designing and executing experiments to support improvements to our current cell culture media products. This position will be based in Rockville (Shady Grove), Maryland.
- Design and execute experiments necessary to develop, re-develop, or optimize media and growth supplements for primary cells and cell lines and analyze and report on data that are generated.
- Utilize perfect aseptic technique and display expertise with handling cell lines and primary cells.
- Execute QC assays for chemical characteristics including solubility, pH, osmolality, and functionality in biological assays.
- Design and execute new analytical and cell culture-based functionality testing for a variety of cell culture media.
- Produce small scale media batches for internal testing, including formulating complete media from various recipe formats, converting from molarity to g/L and vice versa.
- Troubleshoot problems with QC test results or QC procedures for cells and media, and raw materials, media formulation, product storage, and QC assays.
- Maintain stocks of chemicals, reagents and supplies in the laboratory, ordering and tracking materials as required.
- Maintain precise records of batch formulations and conditions of execution including but not limited to water quality, temperature, agitation rate, filtration methodology, packaging formats, and storage conditions.
- Enter and review formulation recipes in an organized tracking system.
- Upgrades and updates functionality assays to support the adoption of Lonza media.
- Creates recipes and executes test batch formulations, manufacturing experimental media and testing for chemical and functionality attributes.
- Formulates cell culture media including calculations of molarity to g/L, pH and osmolality adjustments.
- Organizes and tracks records of batch recipe versions, orders raw materials and maintains the basic supplies for the laboratory.
- Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or related discipline
- Significant related laboratory experience.
- Significant knowledge of aseptic cell culture techniques, basic biology, chemistry, mathematical calculations, statistical analysis, technical writing, and laboratory equipment required.
- Computer literate including, but not limited to, SAP and MS Office.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.