Polymer Chemist 1
United States, Conley (Georgia)
Polymer Chemist 1
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Develop new products/processes for a broad range of polymeric materials (thermosets, thermoplastics, foams, elastomers, etc.). Refine/modify existing products, and provide technical support for external and internal customers with moderate supervision. Assist in the formulation and testing of new processing aids, lubricants and antimicrobial additives. Design experiments and collect data as required supporting the needs of internal departments (Research, Product Support, Manufacturing, Regulatory, Engineering, and Tech Service). Perform laboratory bench work. Maintain detailed records, analyze and interpret results, and provide reports with conclusions and recommendations at the end of projects. Troubleshoot and maintain equipment and train lower level technicians.
- Conduct laboratory testing of ingredients and formulated products (physical/chemical properties, stability testing, etc.). Develop and perform experiments, interpret the results, and issue reports with conclusions and recommendations. Assist with technology transfer to other departments. Provide technical troubleshooting for internal and external issues with products and/or performance. Present findings in verbal presentations to technical team and to management.
- Incorporate additives via melt compound, calendaring, or reactive polymerization, etc.. This can involve operating extruders, pelletizer, hot roll mills and mixers. Equipment operation for manufacturing process improvement may also be required.
- Provide analytical expertise and method development to R&D. Train technicians and other scientists in operation and maintenance of instrumentation. Write SOPs and assist with standardization as required.
- Perform testing on chemical formulations and on treated polymers to standard protocols and methods. Devise non-standard test methods as needed to evaluate product performance. Provide data to support agency submissions when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Preferred area of study: Chemistry
5+ years of laboratory or related technical experience in polymers / materials science
Strong verbal and written communication skills required. Job involves working in an environment that includes high-temperature polymer melt extrusion and processing equipment. Safe operation of heavy industrial and lab equipment a priority; training will be provided. Must be comfortable with routine and non-routine laboratory work: bench synthesis and preparation of samples, materials characterization using rheology, wet-chemical methods and instrumental analysis. Maintenance of laboratory, etc.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.